• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Official CJ-8.com Forum Lurker Intro Thread!

jim krikit

CJ-8 Member
City
key largo
State
fl
Hi Guys,
Pretty new to Jeeps, but this Cj-8 looked like a perfect island car (I'm in the FL keys). Seems very clean, its been in Arizona most of its life. I hope to continue to keep it rust free, but that will be tough in this climate. it's a 1981 with the original 6 cyl and a 5 speed 78K mi.
Open to any suggestions on preventative maintenance and rust protection (inner bed and floors are linered), or thoughts on mods. It will not be a mountain jeep, as we don't have any.
Id like it to be a comfortable highway traveler, as most places to go are 2-3 hr drives ( key west, central FL etc.)
I look forward to picking up some info in the forum and will support it.

Thanks, Jim K.

39459261754_de162aea43_b-1.jpg

39459261674_7dd5b38ab0_b-1.jpg

40171319181_5f56c4a237_z-1.jpg

40171319361_69cd35a9b8_z-1.jpg

40171319741_c8f0afdaa6_z-1.jpg

28390947519_0e7d3786f6_z-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Hi Guys,
Pretty new to Jeeps, but this Cj-8 looked like a perfect island car (I'm in the FL keys). Seems very clean, its been in Arizona most of its life. I hope to continue to keep it rust free, but that will be tough in this climate. it's a 1981 with the original 6 cyl and a 5 speed 78K mi.
Open to any suggestions on preventative maintenance and rust protection (inner bed and floors are linered), or thoughts on mods. It will not be a mountain jeep, as we don't have any.
Id like it to be a comfortable highway traveler, as most places to go are 2-3 hr drives ( key west, central FL etc.)
I look forward to picking up some info in the forum and will support it.

Thanks, Jim K.

pic 5 by James Morrison, on Flickr

pic 6 by James Morrison, on Flickr

Flickr...:shrug:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Welcome. Good looking Jeep.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Welcome! That's a fun looking Scrambler. :cheers:

I really like the custom bimini / full length bikini top... does it use bestop hardware?

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
charlotte
State
nc
Nice looking Jeep. I like the looks of that top set up too. Would love to know more about it.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Welcome! Sounds like a perfect kind of place for that Jeep :thumbsup:

FYI on the Flickr photo links, you can copy the "BB Code" link that they give you, paste it in a post here and then delete everything before the
tag (note the slash, that's the difference in the second one). That leaves you with a pure link right to the photo and that's what the forum needs. That's what I did to the pics I added in your photo post.

rticul8

Basic User
City
N Richland Hills
State
TX
Hi all...
I'm not new to Jeeps or Scramblers but it's been a while since I've logged in and I definitely qualified as a lurker when I was more active on here. I've run into quite a few SOA members lately and thought it's overdue to check in and say hi. I started a build thread a few years ago on our scrambler which has been finished and wheeling for a while now. I'll consolidate my pics and update the build thread soon.

IMG_6938.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Hi all...
I'm not new to Jeeps or Scramblers but it's been a while since I've logged in and I definitely qualified as a lurker when I was more active on here. I've run into quite a few SOA members lately and thought it's overdue to check in and say hi. I started a build thread a few years ago on our scrambler which has been finished and wheeling for a while now. I'll consolidate my pics and update the build thread soon.

View attachment 66673
Welcome back, looks nice a real nice rig ya got there.

Quixote Kid

City
Terlingua
State
TX
Howdy y'all, I live in desert SW Texas near Big Bend Nat'l Park. I've owned a '77 CJ5 for several years now. It's roughly an every other day driver. its one of the most enjoyable vehicles I've ever owned. Shoot, I even enjoy driving it when it's 115 in the shade.

But recently I've noticed that the 5 is considerably lacking in the storage department. Over thanksgiving several of us headed into the park for an off road trip and we were 'scrambling' to try and fit everyone and everything into our Jeeps.

That's when I remembered that a friend has a frame and buckets of parts that he claims is a CJ8. So, I've been lurking for the last week and reading up on the 8's to see if that's what I might want to purchase.

I'm here to learn, drool over all the cool restorations and see if this slight fever is gonna turn into the full CJ8 virus. I'm thinking it might as I'm already up late at night thinking about them.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Welcome to the sickness, you'll be building those parts into a Scrambler soon ;)

cbeeker

City
Bloomington
State
IN
Been hiking in Big Bend many years ago, but Jeeping is the way to go for me today. Hard to beat a Scrambler for space and better ride.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Been to Big Bend several times in my jeep. Great place to go in the fall, winter and spring. Beautiful place ! Good luck with your project.

Quixote Kid

City
Terlingua
State
TX
Thanks for the welcome! It's really enjoyable to have found a place with so much knowledge and helpful people.

To clarify, I haven't found a scrambler to restore...yet. Trying to negotiate with my friend for his buckets of parts but he's not even sure he wants to sell. I've been checking as many online places as I can find, so far I haven't found anything that seems reasonably priced (to me). It might be that I don't have enough money to pick up an 8 and I might just have to buy another CJ5 or 7 to have on hand for friends to drive. We'll see how it plays out.

If anyone makes it out this was to Big Bend please make sure and holler at me. I can take you to some places that few people ever get to visit.

Boswellcj8

Basic User
City
Willis
State
Tx
According to my stats I found this page in 2012 but I just re-found it today, pretty sure that qualifies me as a Lurker!

Got my 82 in 2002 and did a fairly major overhaul, rebuilt engine, trans, transfer case, complete new Painless wiring, re-geared, new paint, bedlined the interior, SOA lift, and added a full hard top.

I have just started another re-build. This time body is coming off for blast and bedline underneath, while it’s off a 5.3 LS and 4L60 is going in then it will go to paint and get its brand new Xtreme hard top.

Trying to decide if I’m keeping 33” tires or going to 35’s??

Attachments

• 057D3980-483F-44CA-BCA7-5F9EEC18BC00.jpeg
    057D3980-483F-44CA-BCA7-5F9EEC18BC00.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 31BA01B7-E619-45E7-99F7-775A9EFBCC8E.jpeg
    31BA01B7-E619-45E7-99F7-775A9EFBCC8E.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 23