• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Official CJ-8.com Forum Lurker Intro Thread!

scramfan1

City
Cambridge
State
Il
Welcome! Get some pictures of that project to post :thumbsup:
Ok all you lurkers out there, it seems we've had a number of great posts and introductions from "lurkers" on here lately and it seems like it's time to try to draw more of these cool folks and great Scramblers out of the woodwork. :wave:

There's no reason to lurk on here, "the more the merrier" definitely applies, even if it's just to say "sweet rig" or throw out an idea. The cool part about forums like this is when people get to discussing things and sharing ideas/viewpoints/stories. You never know what could spark an idea for someone and help them get from :banghead: to :thumbsup:.

So come on out and post up--here, on your own introduction thread or just join in somewhere... :cheers:
Hello, like a few others I am also a new Scrambler owner. Picked up an 82 CJ8 in really good condition. I just couldnt quite figure out how to post on here or if I could without a membership.

Pkelly1us

City
Glen alle
State
Va
So I am new to the board and haven't introduced myself yet. I just picked up an 84 scrambler with a 304 stock transfer and axles with a T4 coupke inches of lift. This is my first jeep but since I was a kid I have always wanted a scrambler.
I picked her up about 90% complete. Needs a front axle rebuild, new clutch and the engine is suspect. No doors or roof so currently using s jeep jacket. Besides that. no rust, frame redone. Excited to finally have an 8 and to join the group

Attachments

• IMG_3638.JPG
    IMG_3638.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 16

Pkelly1us

City
Glen alle
State
Va
I'm there all the time. I'm out in the shortpump but not a native Virginian. I grew up outside of Baltimore... Go Ravens!

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I’m just a couple of miles from you....6 miles north of Short Pump, in Rockville.
Welcome!

adman02

Basic User
City
Durham
State
nc
Longtime lurker (and CJ7 owner), but look what finally followed me home. 1983 CJ8 with 151 Iron Duke and not sure what transmission. Body looks great on the outside, but rusty as heck on the inside. Frame is solid though. Looking forward to learning a lot from those in the know!

Attachments

• IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 29

Chabby

City
Austin
State
TX
Hello everyone. 38years old and I live in Austin, tx. My wife has had an 82 scrambler in her family for years. Her grandpa bought it to drive around their vacation home in Pagosa Springs, CO 30 plus years ago. It has a few rust spots but nothing major. We recently got it running and I have an interest in working on the body to make it look good since it now runs good. Ill be taking it slowly replacing things when I can afford to.

Looking for fender flares right now. Any ideas? I have stumbled across some threads about flares but I get confused quick with the YJ, TJ, CJ7, wrangler parts fitting the front and others fitting the back.

Will be putting in a new radio and would like to get a center console with a speaker in it. Any ides for that?

Ill post pics soon.

Looking forward to the challenge.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Welcome Chabby. Most all offroad parts retailers will have fender flares for our Jeeps. Just make sure you get Scrambler / CJ-8 specific flares. Quadratec, Morris 4x4, 4wd should have them.....For a center console you could use any aftermarket piece and drill a hole for the speaker/s. Just don't mutilate a factory console please. ?Those are getting hard to find in good shape.

Chabby

City
Austin
State
TX
Welcome Chabby. Most all offroad parts retailers will have fender flares for our Jeeps. Just make sure you get Scrambler / CJ-8 specific flares. Quadratec, Morris 4x4, 4wd should have them.....For a center console you could use any aftermarket piece and drill a hole for the speaker/s. Just don't mutilate a factory console please. ?Those are getting hard to find in good shape.

thanks for the info. I wish I had original. nothing there now just an old Igloo box sitting on some wood.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Welcome Chabby. I had my ‘82 on a deer lease in Llano for 5+ years. Brought it home and got bitten by the “well, let’s fix this, now this, well not much harder to do this too...” next thing you know it is in a pile of parts getting a ground up build.

I bought the rugged ridge flares for the ‘83 and they look to be as good as the originals. But they are not installed yet. They also come with new screws and plastic nuts to mount them.

Spotcheck Billy

City
Milton
State
IA
I don't remember if I ever actually officially introduced myself so here it is.

I live in Columbia, Missouri which is in the middle of the State and is home to the University of Missouri (Go Tigers!). I've lived here most of my life but I travel as much as possible. I've been all over the Western US (went to Easter Jeep Safari in '02, worked in Antartica for the Nat'l Science Foundation for a total of 2 years, traveled all over New Zealand and spent a breif time in Austraila, I will be headed to D.C. for the first time this next Monday with a group of WWII vets on an Honor Flight). Currently I work in the Fire/EMS world.

As for Jeeps, I've always loved them but my parents wouldn't let me get one when I turned 16 (they were afraid of me rolling it). I can remember sitting in the back seat of my parents car when I was about 7 and seeing a Jeep Scrambler with the wood side boards pull up next to us and I thought "I want one"! I bought my first Jeep in 2000, it was a 1998 Jeep TJ Sport, and I caught the modification bug bad. I bought all kinds of bolt-on stuff for it and learned how to work on the engine, suspension, and electrical by doing it myself. I then moved on to the harder stuff such as rebuilding axles, installing gears and lockers and so on. The second Jeep I owned was also a '98 TJ Sahara. It was totaled when I loaned it to my mom and she was hit head on by a drunk driver. She broke both of her ankles (he had no injuries). That was just over 2 years ago and she is still recovering. I just picked up my third Jeep, the '82 Scrambler, just south of Little Rock, AR that I found while searching craigslist (imagine that!).

Anyway, that's me in a nut shell. Glad to be here with so many knowlageable Scrambler guys. As this is my first leaf-sprung Jeep I'm learning all the time. The CJ's have always been my favorite Jeep!

Cheers,
Josh
My daughter and her family live in Columbia. He has a CJ7 so small world.

Spotcheck Billy

City
Milton
State
IA
my intro..

not much of a lurker, as i show up on here a bit, but my name is Cody, im from IL, own 3 jeeps myself, co-owner of my dads, married to the love of my life Sharissa, 2 kids, Bailee and Tristan, who are 3 and 1.dad got me into jeeps with his 91 YJ and taking me to the Two Rivers Jeep Club trail runs/ work weekends, now i cant stop buying the things... thanks dad :rolleyes: my 84 has a 350, t176, 300, 30/20, but the axles will be changed as soon as i can find a front 44. maybe even a bbc at some point.. lol. i am currently enlisted in the US Navy, and recently graduated basic training on Feb 12, 2010, and am now stationed in Pensacola, FL for my schooling, which is pretty hard.. CTR, signals collection and analysis. Doing alright in class as of right now, 5th out of 15. i am 20 years young, worked at McDonalds and Autozone before i enlisted, and was well known in town because of being the only cj8 before i left, heard from my wife there's a couple new local ones showing up here and there, not sure if theyre on here or not, but would like to meet them. enjoying the cj8, which should be coming down to FL to serve as my dd again, which makes several of my friends here on base jealous haha, where the commando is failing due to unknown causes.. and no time to work on it during the week. anyway, thats me in a nutshell.. and here's my rig if you havent seen it:
SDC10004-1.jpg

So I went through that same training in Pensacola in an earlier life. Do they still call 'em ditty chasers?

riddinhigh

Basic User
City
Cincinnati
State
OH
Indiana here! I've always had a Jeep, but I finally had to make the upgrade to a Scrambler this past winter! We have 4 kiddos that go trail riding with us, so we installed a 3rd row in our jeep.

I purchased a rust free Scrambler from California. It has a 12 valve Cummins, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44 front, and 9" rear. The jeep is a great start, but its still in primer and is still a "project" in my mind.

I'm currently in the process of finishing the jeep. Its getting a HP60 upfront and 14 bolt in rear with 16" King Coilovers and ARBs this winter.

Love the Scrambler community and look forward to many years of jeeping with the family!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Indiana here! I've always had a Jeep, but I finally had to make the upgrade to a Scrambler this past winter! We have 4 kiddos that go trail riding with us, so we installed a 3rd row in our jeep.

I purchased a rust free Scrambler from California. It has a 12 valve Cummins, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44 front, and 9" rear. The jeep is a great start, but its still in primer and is still a "project" in my mind.

welcome and we need pictures. 12v cummins as in a 6bt?:eek: