• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's on your Work Bench?

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA

Is that destined for some demented, new-age, Jeep museum of pain?!? :eek:

You did a nice job cleaning it up, and it looks great!

However, I have to share that one of my best Jeep days ever, was the day my MOPAR MPI kit showed up for my CJ7, and I got to rip out everything BBD!

Since that time, I've gotten better at reviving carburetors and vacuum systems... but I don't have to like it....

I salute you! :cheers:

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Is that destined for some demented, new-age, Jeep museum of pain?!? :eek:

You did a nice job cleaning it up, and it looks great!

However, I have to share that one of my best Jeep days ever, was the day my MOPAR MPI kit showed up for my CJ7, and I got to rip out everything BBD!

Since that time, I've gotten better at reviving carburetors and vacuum systems... but I don't have to like it....

I salute you! :cheers:

I can't really take credit for how clean it is, it came to me like that. It was "rebuilt" by some reputable carb shop, supposedly, so it looked really pretty, BUT:

one air/fuel screw turned in all the way, the other backed out about 6 turns
float was set way,way,way low
missing float bowl baffle
initial choke clearance way off
vacuum piston gap was way too tight
choke was way too loose

This is the first one I have rebuilt in a while. I had gotten pretty good with the BBD and emission stuff, but two of my three Scramblers have Mopar MPI, the other one GM TBI, so it is "refreshing" LOL :thumbsup:

Yes, the Mopar MPI is very nice :thumbsup: :twocents: :cheers:

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Never did Scouts as a kid and didn't have a boy, always felt I missed out by not doing this. My dad wouldn't have been any help at all, but I think I would have done damn well on my own (or at least would have loved trying to.)

This is our first year not doing Pinewood Derby, our meet was usually in the middle/end of march. I always hated doing it, but the work was rewarding if your car runs slick.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
much like you guys, Dad was off working and Mom just wasn't a great car builder. She did what she could and I want my little guy to have fond memories, a feeling of contribution and a slightly higher bar to shoot for. I'm not good at too much but I will put quality time in with the kids on their projects to make them meaningful.
Thanks all for the remarks. It's as much mine as his and his mine. A team effort.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Thanks guys. I've done over 50 of these. Really messes with my fingers, so I just do one every once in a while now.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Just finished covering this wheel last night. Slate Blue is such a nice color. Pictures don't do it justice.
View attachment 69403
Looks AWESOME! I'd hit you up for a set, but I get that you can only do so many of these. Ever consider making DIY kits for people? Maybe sell the cut pieces of leather/thread/needle and some instructions?

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Looks AWESOME! I'd hit you up for a set, but I get that you can only do so many of these. Ever consider making DIY kits for people? Maybe sell the cut pieces of leather/thread/needle and some instructions?
If it didn't turn out right then we'd both be unhappy. Different wheels are different in thickness. And I put the leather on the padded wheel and mark the spoke locations, then take it off cut, fold & glue, and then punch all the holes. When I was doing lots of these, some of my fingers got to where they wouldn't close all the way and some would trigger if I tried. If I do one now and then it doesn't seem to have lasting effects.